- As I'm typing this, I'm listening to the opening addresses for Midem+ in Cannes. The 2023 edition is intended as a prologue, with a select few professionals determining the priorities for the real launch next year. When questioned about the "plus" in Midem+, one of the speakers went into a long description of what this would mean, such as innovation, live music, reinventing the trade fair, etc. I'm pretty sure that's what the old team did for abut 20 years. It all depends on what this will mean in real terms next year. Two things that are different (which the later Midems also tried) is to organise more events that are open to the public, either in the Palais or in town. Concerts will be part of it. They have also constituted a community that will help set the issues to eb addressed next year and moving forward. The speeches are here, in French https://www.linkedin.com/video/live/urn:li:ugcPost:7021838678914125824/ (it starts at about 30 minutes).
- Michael I was told that I should wait until 2024 to get involved, even after having brough hundreds of people, developed years of concerts and 22 years of attendance. I asked to become a part of this year's planning and was denied access.
- I'm pretty sure you would have made a valuable contribution. I don't know what their criteria were.
- It has not been easy communicating with anyone within this new regime. I wonder if there will be a USA office opening? Anyway, I do look forward to attending in 2024, having a Music2Deal dinner and 3 separate showcases of live talent. Will probably have at least 20 individual clients attending also.
- Who is now in the "regime"? I thought that Alexandre Deniot will continue with MIDEM
- Mario, Deniot moved on after the end of the previous Midem. The city of Cannes is running it, with three French companies doing the grunt work: the communication company Hopscotch; local festival organiser Panda Events; and music tech provider Pianity. I don't know how they split up the work, but communicating with them has proven complicated. I'm guessing they are a bit overwhelmed at present. Let's hope it clears up over the coming months. They have taken on a considerable challenge - not just to re-invent a music trade fair, but to create a music festival that works in its own right I'd wait until the current event is over before getting in touch in February or March.
- Any word on the outcome of Midem 2023? Who will generate information, who will collect fees? Will there be discount pkgs, or special events for spouses?
- Today I received an email from MIDEM. The return of MID3M is scheduled for January 2024, in Cannes, on 24/25/26/27. We are currently working on the program, which will be released in April 23. Regarding the presence of artists, we plan to design a program of LIVE concerts, possibly in the form of show case, open mainly to professionals and representing all music. I will come back to you in April to let you know how to register.